Many men and couples struggle with choosing an engagement ring. Whether you buy the ring before the proposal, or use a dummy ring and select one together later, the choice of engagement ring can be a difficult process – there are so many to choose from: Diamonds, rubies, opals, birth stones, gold, white gold, silver. It’s easy to get lost in the sea of options. Here, we will provide you with a few tips on finding a nice, trendy engagement ring and also give you some examples of the most expensive rings celebrities have chosen.
If you are a man getting ready to propose, you basically have two options. The first is to choose the ring yourself, then propose. The second is to use a dummy ring that looks good, then if all goes well, allow your future wife to pick out her own engagement ring. The first option presents some challenges, such as finding out her ring size discretely and the risk that she won’t like / can’t wear the ring you choose, so we generally recommend going with option number two. The proposal is what matters, after all – the ring can be chosen later. But no matter what option you choose, you want your ring to look as good as possible. Here are some current trends to consider when choosing an engagement ring
- Vintage Design: Ah, yes… the vintage design. You can’t go wrong with a ring that looks like a family heirloom, passed down for generations. Usually large, gaudy, and attention-getting, vintage rings let everyone know how proud you are to be engaged.
- Mixed Metal: You can choose to mix the metal in your engagement ring in a number of different ways. You can have white gold on one side and regular gold on the other. You can have a white gold band and rose gold surrounding the stone, or you can choose mixed metal prongs – the possibilities for this option are endless.
- Details and Engravings: You can literally have anything you want engraved on your engagement ring – from meaningful symbols to names to the date of your engagement (so he never forgets the anniversary), this customization option is an excellent choice for a ring that commemorates your decision to commit your lives to one another.
- Colorful Accent Stones: Even if you choose not to put a ruby, sapphire, or other gemstone at the center of your ring, you can still feature a color you like – perhaps your birthstone, or his, or a combination of the two. With a beautiful diamond in the center, this is sure to add a flair to your already gorgeous engagement ring.
- Square Band: Square bands tend to be more comfortable than round bands, which can be difficult to remove when the need arises. They also make your engagement ring stand out from the rest, as most people choose round bands. A square band can be used with any cut, metal, or stone – so just choose one that looks good to you.
Hopefully, this gives you some ideas to choose from. You can mix and match these options for extra variety – or you can simply choose a ring that looks good to you. The most important parts are that you like it and that it fits within your budget. If money is no object, the sky is the limit – let’s take a look at the top 5 most expensive celebrity engagement ring choices:
5. Jacqueline Kennedy: Her beautiful emerald and diamond ring had a unique custom design with a large emerald and diamonds. It came with a price tag of $1.5 million.
4. Kim Kardashian: Though the marriage didn’t even last three months, the price of her engagement ring is enough to set most or us up for life. At $2,000,000, this expensive diamond ring definitely cost a pretty penny.
3. Melania Knauss: Donald Trump’s third expensive trophy wife also came with an expensive engagement ring. With an absolutely gigantic diamond at the center, this ring cost Trump $2 million. But for Trump, of course, that’s only ‘Trump change.’
2. Paris Hilton: Paris and Paris – an unlikely couple – when they got engaged, Paris (the man) offered Paris a ring worth $4.7 million. The ring was white gold and encrusted with 24 karat diamonds.
1. Beyonce: With Jay-Z as a boyfriend, one of the many things a woman can expect to receive is an over-the-top engagement ring. A whopping $5 million dollars, this ring featured 20 karat white gold and 18 karat diamonds.
We hope you have enjoyed this look into the wonderful world of engagement rings, and if you are getting engaged, we also wish you the best. Whether you’re on a budget, middle class or a high roller, hopefully, this guide has given you some options and choices to think about when you choose the perfect ring for your engagement.